Home About Me Press Heyday Recommends Contact Us

Thursday 20 February 2014

What Success feels like - and a dress

Thank you so much to those that commented and sent their support after last weeks post. I really appreciated the feedback. I think it is good to say "things are difficult for me right now" so that other people also realise that life is not a Coke ad for anyone, even people in bloggerspace. 

Mr Heyday and I are really self sufficient emotionally, having been through a lot together. This recent house buying mission and dealing with our lousy solicitor really did me in though. When the person who is supposed to be helping you doesn't return calls or emails, and doesn't do the paperwork she needs to do in a timely fashion and then lies about it, blaming everyone from the agent to the vendors, their solicitors, the vendors vendors, our lenders, even her email system ("Really, down for SEVEN days? You don't say! What decade is it again?"). The saga was ridiculous and we were powerless - sort of like an abusive relationship, once you realise, you've already waded into the deep end and your swim wings are a long way away.

The agent kinda gave up at one stage and developed a special laugh instead - poor guy. Shall I name and shame her once it is all done? I'm very tempted. We will definitely be talking to the ombudsman and leaving some truthful reviews online to save anyone else the stress we have gone through.

Anyway, on Friday, we finally had a break-through and exchanged on the house. This felt like passing the finish line of a marathon. I was so thrilled, pleased and excited I could hardly talk straight! We took some champagne to dancing to celebrate with and we I got a bit tipsy and quickly became a menace on the dance floor. A menace that just didn't care anymore... "Hi, would you like to dance? Only, I might be hard to steer right now".  Hats off to the brave leads that just laughed and carried on.

Valentines dress made from an Anne Adams pattern
I wore a dress that I made last year for Valentines and then didn't wear, so it is the sewing version of "one I made earlier". It is entirely made from The Stash so didn't cost anything* either. 

I omitted the back tie, because they always seem little girly for someone with boobs as big as mine, and they hide the curve of the lower back.
LOVE the old envelopes that patterns were sent in, but the lack of a date on the stamp is infuriating
I made the pockets bigger because they were a silly kind of small but kept their original shape, since it is, you know, vintage and one wants to be authentic. But I wish I had changed that too, as they are hearts gone wrong and for no good reason except for someone made them that way 70 years ago. 

Easy up do
I was very happy with it, although found at the end of the night that my petticoat had inched its way up and was wrapped around my hips. I must have looked all kinds of odd.
a close up of the print aka my bottom. That is what happens when Hubby is a bit bored and waiting to take pictures. I nearly didn't include it, but hey, you might as well know what mischief I put up with
All up, it has been a good week and by the end of today we will have the KEYS TO OUR OWN HOUSE! 
Moving tips and ideas all welcome!

Shona x


*except it's initial cost plus storage for 3..4... maybe 8 years


19 comments:

  1. Glad things are starting to get better for you :)
    I love your dress, making me think I need to get my sewing machine out of storage, or maybe it can be the next heyday design and save me the hardship lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - so pleased your house is almost yours. What bad luck you had with your solicitor. And your dress is gorgeous, you clever girl. Welcome to your new home (almost!)

    http://asaucystitch.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Adams (and other mail orders) are some of my favourite patterns and this one you sewed up is a beaut! The pockets are my favourite part! I do hope the rest of your housing issue is smooth sailing from here!

    http://www.VintageStarlet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! What an horrible epic journey you've had! I'm so pleased to hear that things are finally wrapping up. I love your dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your exchange, onwards and upwards and good luck with the move! Dress looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wrote a comment but not sure what happened...I shall repeat - yay, name & shame to protect others and I Adore the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your own house and wow - what a valentine´s dress, so hot! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My word what a harrowing, stressful ordeal you've had to deal with regarding getting this new house. I'm sincerely sorry that you've had that stress heaped on top of everything else you guys have been dealing with in recent months. Thank goodness that ultimately you were able to get the keys and can move in this week. I hope that the house is everything and more you hoped it would be!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great news on the house. What a stressful process, the solicitor sounds terrible. Lovely dress, really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable dress! Love the white ric-rac on your collar! Some projects take a 'little' time to finish but oh are they worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great customer service, I exchanged a larger one for my previous one and they were just the bees knees. I purchased this dress as a back up dress for my company's annual holiday party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God I know what its like to be tangled with crap solicitors. Has anyone every had a decent solicitor? They are aptly named.
    Glad you got sorted in the end. Love the bum shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous, well done! I love your hairdo.
    Ah, the solicitor from Hell, nothing like them, ours is good, I have to say, but having heard horror stories, I realise we are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the dress and I am glad that things are on the up for you.

    Gaby x

    theglamdottylife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you, even if I don't always have time to reply

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...