Home About Me Press Heyday Recommends Contact Us

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Happy New Year and Christmas recyling

Hello and Happy New Year!

I am so thrilled that I have made it through another festive season, how about you? For some reason this year I was bored of it all so quickly, that the decorations are down already and the place is looking surprisingly bare. I blame the shops who were playing Christmas music around Guy Fawkes. Those will be the same ones that have already got Easter Eggs out (yes, I spied them in WH Smith yesterday).  Sorry but my FAT making cells need a little break, Easter will have to wait!.. until... well, February at least.


Anyhoo, as part of my Christmas breakdown I do a little fun recycling thing with my cards that I thought you might like.  I cut them down to make parcel tags for next year! 
I know tags are not dear to buy really, but this is much more fun. I make it a game with myself to see how many good tags you can make out of a card, sometimes ending up with very little that the recycling men have to take away.
Firstly, though it might be a little morbid, but one lesson I have learnt is to save cards from loved ones who are getting a bit elderly. That way you can bring them out after they can no longer write you one, which is neat thing to do.


Once I have saved the specials, I get happy with the scissors and snip like a mad woman. Picture cards can be made into numerous tags, and often the back of a card has a small picture that is worth cutting out too. It is fun to work out where the cutting lines could be to make 2 or 3 cool cards rather than just one. 
Shapes come out interestingly and as you get on  a roll you see different possibles - like the word "Merry" on it's own. I like that!


This year I didn't stop and collected the messages on the inside too. If I had kids it would be great to get them to decorate them, but since I don't, I might have some fun with the glitter pens myself!
I hope your first week of the New Year is coming along nicely. Hip Hip Hooray!

Shona x

11 comments:

  1. I do this too! SOmetimes I like the whole fron of the card so much that I use the whole thing on front of a gift. Just criss-cross some ribbon underneath and if you have them, cut the edges of the card with some patterned scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year lovely lady! Great idea!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a good idea, especially as it turns taking down the cards into a fun project less likely to be put off until Spring! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not alone in doing this! I think it's a great way to recycle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, cant believe easter eggs are out aready. Hapoy new ywar from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always used to do this with my mum on the 6th Jan (when the decorations HAD to go away!) with a pair of pinking shears. Must remember to do it this year :
    I was so disappointed to go to Tesco last Monday to find a section of Easter Eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, snap. I use this trick as well, though since it is just me and Mr D it is usually enough just to each use a different paper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad so many of you already do this. The designs are so nice it is worth giving them a second go. I need some pretty edge scissors, although if they have "blobby" edge already then I would rather straight scissors.
    Penny Dreadful - I would tell Mr Wolf off if I only got one paper! tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh you are clever, it wouldn't even occur to me, mostly cos I would forget where I'd put them when it comes to Christmas this year, I am old you know ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shona, I love it! Such a good idea and the end results are so pretty! Go you!
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a smart woman! I'm not very crafty - but this I can manage!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you, even if I don't always have time to reply

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...