Home About Me Press Heyday Recommends Contact Us

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Adventures at Ninas Hair Parlour

Eekk! Not long to go now... the big man is getting ready to wriggle down your chimney. (That is quite a strange "fairy tale" really isn't it, I mean how does he stay clean?). This post isn't all about Christmas though as I figure you, like me, might need a little break from that.
Don't get me wrong, I am pleased Christmas is nearly here, it is nice to be doing something different as I have been SO bored with myself of late. Do you get that, when everything just feels too much the SAME. ALL the time? I wanted a jump start the new year and it felt like time for different hair. I have agonised for ages as my problem is that, while I think shorter is sleek and sophisticated, at the same time I am always pining for pre-raphaelite long tendrils.
Sophie Anderson Print
A bit too vintage though eh? In the end I was bored both with agonising AND myself, so something had to be done. Shorter was the only way to go, and the only person I trust for that kind of trimming is THE Nina of Nina's Hair Parlour at Alfies Antique market. I hadn't seen Nina in ages so I headed there armed with some Christmas chocolates and photos of Amy Adams character in "Miss Pettigrew lives for the day".
I want the hat too
I know it isn't THAT short, but it is short for me and knowing that, even Nina was a little cautious with the scissors.
The lovely Nina
Since they were quiet Issidora showed me how to do Marcel waves using original metal clips, and here is the results of my first effort with her help. It lasted for 4 days (albeit getting softer at the end) and I loved it! (You can see the actual length of my new cut in the last picture as the rest of my hair is tucked up at the back in this photo.)
Issidora the Marcel expert. I'm going to head back to her for some make-up lessons
Then, just when I was thinking - "now where I am going to find some marcel clips to do this myself?" Along came Ian, a stallholder at Alfies, with a whole set for sale. Lucky day!

I am chuffed with my new length and it's ease of styling. Here is it, without the waves and using just hot sticks.
Sorry, the best photos are the ones I take myself, so they are all the same!
So now I have the start of my fresh start - not sure what is next which is kinda exciting too.  
I hope you have happy preparations for Santa wherever you are, or if you are not celebrating Christmas then that you are rounding up the year in a good way.

Shona x

17 comments:

  1. Yay, that hairdo will make snow melt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you look fabulous!! I'm jealous!! I can't get my hair to hold curl, no matter what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Shona, you look gorgeous. I love your hair!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely gorgeous! I love the Marcel waves and the curls, too.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look gorgeous! I love that teal dress/top in the last picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous honey!! Really lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous both ways of styling.
    I got fed up with my long hair a few moths ago and having to spend so much time on it every day so i had it bobbed. Would love to learn how to do finger waves- maybe I need to book an appointment at Ninas.

    By the way the tweed trousers have arrived- I love them Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh it looks lovely!

    Your hair is such a lovely colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fabulous! (I got my hair bobbed yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Great choice of role-model and it looks wonderful on you! Must remember to give Nina's a visit next time I'm in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gawd you look sexy there my dear. I need a haircut desperately!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning!!I love it:)
    The hair clips were obviously destined to be yours:)
    Have a very merry Christmas,i hope Santa is generous at your house tonight:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh thanks for all the lovely compliments - I feel quite pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. whoo hoo! Looks fabulous, you really really suit it!

    My hair is sooo long again now I need to get back to Nina's and have it all chopped off again, you have inspired me to do so, when I can get some cash together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are absolutely adorable!!! I love your face and hair. I wish I lived in London. I love vintage styles but it's a bit harder to pull it off here in the states.

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you, even if I don't always have time to reply

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...